There is no sin but stupidity
– Oscar Wilde
Roger Bacon, an English philosopher and scientist from a long time ago, shares his thoughts on what makes people stupid.
Bertrand Russell, in A History of Western Philosophy, summarizes Bacon as follows:
‘There are, he says, four causes of ignorance:
- First, the example of frail and unsuitable authority.
- Second, the influence of custom.
- Third, the opinion of the unlearned crowd.
- Fourth, the concealment of one’s ignorance in a display of apparent wisdom.
From these four plagues, of which the fourth is the worst, spring all human evils.’
Nicely put sir.
- A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell